Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rice Quiche

At the beginning of the week I planned to make Rice Quiche. I am proud to report that my plan worked out and I made Rice Quiche tonight. I can also say I completely threw the original recipe out the window and just winged (or is it wung) it since I had to get it in the oven before my daughter woke up hungry for her momma's milk.

First, I threw some frozen broccoli pieces in the microwave to thaw. While that was thawing, I grabbed leftover rice from earlier in the week, 4 eggs, light cream cheese, and a block of cheddar cheese from the refrigerator. I enlisted my husband to scramble the 4 eggs while I shredded enough of the block cheese to make 1 cup.

When the broccoli came out of the microwave, I decided it was too big so ran my kitchen scissors through it a few times before mixing in about 2 cups of rice. Then, I added about 3 tablespoons of cream cheese to the eggs and mixed it as best I could since it was all at fridge temperature. This was dumped in with the rice mixture. I also dumped most of the cheese in and about 1/2 a cup of skim milk. I tried to stir everything together as best I could before spreading it out in my 8x8 stone baker. Sprinkled the remaining cheese over the top and popped it into a 350 degree over for about 45 minutes.

This was our vegetarian meal for the week. I found some lovely canned mandarin oranges in the back of my fridge and served those up, along with some fresh red grapes, to give the meal a brunch like appearance. Bruce approved whole-heartedly with the meal idea and even went back for a 2nd serving. This really surprised me because he isn't much for casseroles or meat-less dishes. This dish would have benefitted greatly from more salt, pepper, and sauted onions and mushrooms.

From my stash I used the frozen broccoli, rice, and mandarin oranges. My fresh ingredients were the eggs, milk, cheese, and fruit.

No comments: