Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

98% FF = Blech!

New England Clam Chowder is one of my favorite soup-type things to eat. I especially savor the opportunities to enjoy clam chowder when I am at a quality seafood restaurant. The delight of biting into a large chunk of clam as the creaminess of the soup washes it down is exquisite. In my book, nothing really beats a great bowl of chowder.

Normally, I let Bruce pick out the soup on soup and sandwich nights but I found a can of clam chowder and knew what I wanted to go with my sandwich. It got even better when Bruce agreed to prepare our meal while I gave our dear daughter some more bananas.

I was filled with anticipation as I brought the first bite to my lips and that is where it ended. I couldn't believe how horrible it tasted. Given the nature of this experiment, the first thing I thought is to check the expiration date on the can. You can bet I was surprised when Bruce said the can didn't expire until sometime in 2010! While I pondered my letter to Campbell's, Bruce re-read the can again. Turns out, I bought the 98% fat free version of my favorite soup. I'll never make that mistake again! It was awful. No amount of seasoning improved it either.

Oh well, live and learn. Bruce dumped that batch of soup and heated up another can. I sure hope we don't have anymore of those 98% fat free cream soups left!

No comments: