Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Chicken Tostadas

Yummy, yummy, yummy, and rubbery!

Today was our crock-pot meal and I have to say I did a stupendous job. I put in about 3 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast and then mixed up the following to dump over it - 1 can of green enchilada sauce, 1 can of cream of chicken soup, ~1 cup of frozen, diced chicken breast, and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. The chicken was still frozen and in a huge lump when I left it on low this morning aroun 6 am.

When I came home around 4:30 I stirred it up and it fell apart into perfectly juicy, stringy pieces. And the house smelled great. That really is one of the best parts of using a crockpot - coming home to a house filled with the wonderful aroma of cooked food. I snuck a taste of the chicken and couldn't believe how tender it was, especially since my last couple of crock pot attempts turned out less tender.

Bruce heated up some corn tortillas in the frying pan for us. He used just the slightest amount of grease and then laid them out on paper towels so they came out light and toasty. He did burn one of them pretty badly though so I just broke those burnt bits off and enjoyed a little pre-dinner snack. I think he even toasted up a few extra and wrapped them in foil for leftovers. I didn't really give him very specific directions for turning plain corn tortillas into tostadas, but he did a good job none the less.


Once they had cooled a little bit, I placed some of the chicken over them then artfully layered salsa and cheese on top. We weren't sure if we would use silverware or not to eat them, but it came pretty clear pretty quickly that it was just easier to pick them up and eat them with our hands. The taste of the chicken was fairly mild and that's because I didn't have the can of green chiles that I thought I did and ran out of time to add the 1/2 of a red bell pepper that I defrosted. Oh well, maybe I can add it before I store the leftovers.

Oh, you might be wondering why I called it rubbery. Well, if you've never heard of rubber chicken let me explain. Rubber chicken is chicken that can be stretched out to last over a few meals. Tonight we had tostados. I can also use part of the chicken, because of its mild flavor, in a chicken salad for lunch tomorrow. If I buy flour tortillas I can make enchiladas. The chicken could also be used in a large number of different types of casseroles that I can't think up right now! That's stretchy chicken.

On a side note, I really am sold on making my own tortilla chips with corn tortillas. They are super cheap because they go on BOGO sale frequently at Publix. I spray them lightly with oil and sprinkle salt on them. I know I could get creative and add more seasonings, like cumin, or go sweet and add cinamon and sugar, I just haven't yet. When I do, you can be sure that you'll be the first to know!

No comments: