Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Weekly Shopping Trip

I made my weekly pilgrimage to Publix tonight in my quest to buy yummy food to go with my stash. I stuck to fresh produce, dairy, and whole grain bread except for my water. I can't drink the water where we live (horrible smell). I used to buy individual bottles, but realized that wasn't a very eco-friendly way to live. So now, I compromise and buy the 2.5 gallon jugs and then put it in my recycling bin once we finish it. I still keep some individual bottles around to grab on the way out the door, but use my Tervis Tumbler the rest of the time.

It was only my second week in the Eating It Up experiment and I already had to have the cashier take some items off of my bill. I guess I did a poor job adding up my purchases and had to put back the blueberries, plus my lite wheat hamburger and hot dog buns. I did not mind too much though since I was not sure we'd eat the blueberries and I can buy the buns for less money at the bread store if I plan my shopping trip for earlier in the evening.

After taking those items off, my total was $25.13. I am okay with going over my $25 goal though, because I was so far under it last week. Not that I want to go over every week, but $0.13 isn't going to break the bank. Yet. :-)

Oh, let me tell you about the dinner that we had tonight. It was the Tortilla Soup made from a mix by Bear Creek. I'll be honest and tell you it is the first expired item in my pantry. The use by date was September 2007, but I don't think it affected the taste at all. I added in a can of black beans and also a can of yellow corn to bulk it up some. It worked as a yummy meal and I got to eat the Harry & David chips with it! Bruce sprinkled some cheese on top of his and liked it. He topped his belly off with a hot dog though.

Tomorrow for lunch, we'll take leftover baked potatoes from last week and pour the soup over it with more cheese for something a little more filling. Trust me, you can't tackle the task of teaching 8th & 9th graders on an empty stomach!

3 comments:

Doc said...

This is how I learn that my wife fed me expired food; I read it on the blog.

Jennifer said...

It was just dried vegetables and spices. Quit your belly aching. Oh wait, your belly isn't aching is it?

Rebecca said...

I am ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!