Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Saturday Night Dinner

We don't normally cook dinner around here on Saturday nights. It seems we either end up eating out somewhere or we are too tired so fix leftover, or even cereal sometimes. But I had the chicken defrosted from earlier in the week and still hadn't made the Sweet & Sour meal that I had planned.

I cut 1-lb of chicken into thin strips and marinated it in flour, soy sauce, water, and that squeezable ginger and chili pepper paste you can buy in the produce section. After a quick stir-fry, I removed it from the pan. Next, I stir-fried 1/2 of a diced red pepper, about 1 cup of frozen, chopped onions, and a small handful of carrots, thinly sliced on he diagonal. Once they had softened up, I added the chicken back in. I let that set for a minute while I mixed up 1/3 cup of ketchup and sugar each with 1 1/4 cup water and some powdered sweet & sour mix from the back of my pantry. Pouring that over the chicken, I brought it to a boil and then let the sauce cook down and thicken. All of this was poured over cooked white rice and topped with pineapple tidbits.

I was very skeptical about the whole ketchup thing and am pretty certain the mix was just a thickening agent, but the meal was delicious! We are both looking forward to packing it for lunch on Monday.

From my stash I used up the powdered mix, rice (and I made extra for the week), the onions, and the pineapple.

No comments: