Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

1st Shopping Trip

Tonight was my first trip to the grocery store since beginning my Eating It Up experiment. I knew that in order to stick to my 3 ground rules, I would need to stay on the perimeter of the store, this is where the freshest and least processed food is stocked. I headed to the dairy section first to pick up milk and had to struggle as I walked past the cheese and the yogurt. It isn't that these are not allowed, it is that I still have plenty left over from last week's trip and I don't need them this week. Even. On. Sale. I had to repeat that to myself several times.

As I talked to myself (in my head, not out loud, I'm not nuts) and walked over to produce I did make one circle around the clearance rack and told myself I didn't need anything on it. No matter how good of a sale it is. I had some version of all of it at home already, waiting to be used up.

My diligence was rewarded when I arrived in the produce section and saw that crates of clementines were on clearance for $2 each! Normally they are $6.99 and my personal target price is $3.99. Publix had them at my target price 2 weeks ago and I suspect that the 3 lonely crates left on clearance were from that sale. I knew that not all of them would be good and I'd have to toss some, but at that price, I bought all 3! (Plus some bananas, which are a staple in my diet.)

After swinging by and picking up a treat for Bruce (marshmallow fluff) I headed for the check out. Success! My savings were greater than my $12.74 total. I was $11.26 under budget!


(Oh, and we did grill the london broil tonight. It was tasty, but not as strong as I thought it would be after marinating for almost 24 hours. It is going to be used up in a salad and on a potato this weekend.)

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I had a problem of buy things, any thing "on sale" when Jason and I got married. I would run out of money, and there would be nothing left and I would be short on food!

So, Mr. Hubby sat me down and had a talk with me....he said "Just because it's on sale does not mean it's a good deal. If it's not something we use or are going to use it's not a "good deal." Plus, if it's not something we will use before it goes bad...it's not a good deal."

I still struggle with this sometimes! But, having such a small budget for groceries which includes toiletries probably helps me because I have no choice but to be careful lol ;p