Welcome! If you are new to Eating It Up, take a moment to read my concept post.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Sausage Frittata

Tonight we had a breakfast-inspired dish for dinner. I made a sausage frittata based on this recipe I found on-line. Here is what I did:


Cooked and drained 1 lb of ground sausage. Put sausage back in deep-sided pan and then poured 7 scrambled eggs over top. I moved the pan and eggs around a bit to let the eggs seep in through the sausage. After a few minutes I put a lid on the pan and then waited a few more minutes. Once the frittata began to setup I removed the lid and sprinkled cheese liberally over the top. I put the lid back on and waited for for the dish to finish setting up. To serve, I spooned salsa over the top and served with Harry & David tortilla chips.


I was able to use up 1 lb of frozen, Rich Plan sausage, some salsa (of which I have 4 jars still left unopened), and I got to open up the bag of delicious Harry & David chips! Bruce really liked the meal and said I could make something like this again. If I were to do it again, I would use more eggs (7 was all I had), 1/2 as much sausage, and I would saute onions and peppers with the sausage for more flavor and nutrition. Actually, I can think of several different ways I could add vegetables into the mix and still enjoy it. Plus, we get to enjoy the leftovers for breakfast!

2 comments:

Rebeka said...

Sounds wonderful! Frittatas are the best. I make them all the time to use up odds and ends of veggies that I have in the fridge. They're perfect for a brunch too, considering they can be eaten hot or at room temp. It's not often that you get to eat dinner leftovers for breakfast! Nice work on your use of existing pantry items :)

Rebecca said...

Sounds pretty good! I gotta try it!!